Thursday, November 20, 2008

Printing Compositions - Hair Project

Printing Compositions - Hair Project

Taking pictures for this project was fun. The whole class took pictures of two models and it was fun taking pictures of them and trying to focus on hair and lighting. I enjoyed taking the pictures, but developing the prints became pretty complicated for me. None of these pictures turned out perfectly black and white and it took a while before I finally got the correct settings.

Most of my pictures turned out this project. I had a bunch of pictures to work with, but unfortunately the luck was not on my side and the print always turned out way too grey. My contact sheet is the picture above and below. The settings for my contact sheet above are:
Aperture: 4
Filter: 4
Time: 60
 This contact sheet has most of the pictures where the model was either positioned in an angle or close up pictures. The settings are:
Aperture: 4
Filter: 4
Time: 60
 This was my first print which went fairly quick. I used the same settings for the final print as I used for this test-strip. The settings are:
Aperture: 4
Filter: 4
Time: 140
 November 2008
I quite like this angle-shot. I think it has a nice angle and  the hair is clearly visible. This was my first and quickest print. The print is a bit grey but the final settings were:
Aperture: 4
Filter: 4
Time: 140 
 November 2008
This print took forever for me to finish. This print never turned out good enough. It often turned out very grey and light. I tried many different settings, and my time often varied from 300 - 700 seconds. None of the settings quite seemed to work and the settings I used for this print clearly was not right because this print turned out too light and grey.
 November 2008
This is my close-up shot for this Hair project. I do like this picture a bit. I like how you don't quite see the expression of the model's face and the hair is really in focus. This was the print that took forever to find good settings for. The picture above did not have the correct settings and so for this print I had to change the settings a bit and luckily found settings which were good enough. Settings are:
Aperture: 2.8
Filter: 4.5
Time: 700
 I was not actually planning on using this print to, but I had to as my other print did not work. This print was the quickest to develop. It only took me about an hour. The settings for this test-strip are:
Aperture: 4
Filter: 4
Time: (from left to right) 75, 70, 65, 60
 This was my last print. It went extremely quick and I was very lucky with this print that I got it done in time seeing as the deadline was like in a few hours. What I like about this picture is that the girl to the left is smiling and looking towards the camera and she is in focus and then the other girl is looking in another direction and her hair is a bit un-focused. The settings are:
Aperture: 4
Filter: 4
Time: 99

No comments: