Monday, December 15, 2008

Theory Notes and Annotations - Claustrophobia Project

Theory Notes and Annotations - Claustrophobia Project


This is my second contact sheet I developed with most of my pictures using a model who I have used before. I brought my friend outside and tried to find things and places to take pictures which were "claustrophobic". This contact sheet was very dark but it was able to use it to choose my big prints.
Aperture: 2.8
Time: 40
Filter: No Filter

This was my first contact sheet and the pictures turned out a bit light on this contact sheet, but it was able to see the pictures and decided what pictures to develop. 
Aperture: 2.8
Time: 90
Filter: No Filter

This was the second print i developed and it didn't take too long to find the correct settings and to make a big print out of it. I just had to use a lot of time for this print. The settings are:
Aperture: 2.8
Time: 310
Filter:No Filter
Annotation
The girl is sitting in some bars tangled together and she is kind of stuck in between them. The girl looks a bit scared as she is stuck in between these bars thats makes her feel trapped.  

This is my test-strip for the print below. This test-strip turned out pretty grey and light so for the big print I had to add lots of time and I took out the filter.
Settings for the test-strip:
Aperture: 2.8
Time: (from top to bottom) 55,5045,40
Filter: No Filter

From the test-strip above I decided to take out the filter and add more time. The settings are:
Aperture: 2.8
Time: 280
Filter: No Filter
Annotation
The girl in this picture is looking down at the ground and looks lonely and upset. She is making her body a bit smaller and her posture makes her seem small and upset. The dark area and closed off space she is walking in makes the subject seem more alone and upset. I consider this picture claustrophobic because the girl looks upset and she is walking in a dark, closed off space by herself.

It took a while to find the correct settings for this print. Because I took the picture up against the sky the top of the girl's head turned out very light. I kept adding more and more time but eventually I stopped adding time because the bottom part of the print was becoming very dark. Settings:
Aperture: 2.8
Time: 310
Filter: No Filter
Annotation
The model is standing up on something and heights can make some people feel uneasy and claustrophobic. Standing up and looking down makes me worried and big heights is not something I'm a big fan of. The face expression looks a bit scared and as if she kind of wants to go down from there.

This test-strip turned out very, very dark. Settings:
Aperture: 2.8 
Time:310
Filter: No Filter

The first time I made a big print for this picture it turned out too dark so for this print I used less time but same aperture. Settings:
Aperture: 2.8
Time: 240
Filter: No Filter
Annotation
You can clearly see on the expression of this girl that she looks worried and uneasy standing between those bars. The bars around her are making the space smaller and you can see that the small space is making the subject feel a bit "claustrophobic".

No comments: